Tuesday, April 28, 2009

California Getting Closer

Meeting up with my Great Uncle Jack yesterday was great. He's had a few strokes, but, like many of the Chosin vets I have met, he's a survivor. And he still remembers Chosin like it was yesterday. My Uncle Jack served with Chesty Puller and the 1st Marines at Koto-ri. We had a great time and I'm looking forward to visiting with him again next time I am home in Pittsburgh.

One week to the day until we leave for Cali. Out plane tickets are bought, everything is set with our equipment on the west coast, and Brian has booked the rental car. The biggest and most difficult part-- booking locations and veterans for interviews-- is still in progress. We have to find places that are preferrably free-of-charge that are relatively isolated from crowds/ traffic noise/ etc. Not an easy task when you are unable to scout them out ahead of time and you can only ask questions over the phone. Brian is all over it though, and, as Marines, we are always good at adapting to the situation once we are on the ground.

I'm calling around to the California Chosin vets to book interview apointments. We have a pretty substantial list of names, but many members are either unlisted in the phone book, are in poor health, or have passed on. It's tough business. We are moving as fast as we can to get as many veteran's stories recorded as we can, but I can't help but feel like I wish I was working on this project a decade earlier. There is a lot of history that is gone forever that we will never get to go back and record. Time is short and we have no other choice but to attack.

S/F
Anton

No comments:

Post a Comment